Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Are You Really Living For Christ?


In the late 90’s I was in my late 20’s and with the help of my parents, I opened an auto dealership.  My business did very well and began to flourish. I felt like I was starting to get my life back on track. I stopped drinking alcohol, started going to church regularly, I became chairman of the board of trusties at my church, and lead the renovations of the church. Through all of these deeds, I thought I was so holy. It was a step in the right direction, but I was straddling the fence. There were still things in my life that did not line up with the word of God. It’s almost like some of the posts I see on social media. One day a person can be posting about how great God is and praising his name, quoting scriptures, posting about how God is blessing them, pictures of them going to church and how they are truly living for God and then the next post they’re cursing, talking about clubbing, gossiping, talking about sex and lust and everything that is against the word of God. It’s a double minded life (James 4:8) and the bible says that “a double minded man is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8).” When you address these issues, the first thing that comes out of people’s mouths is “you can’t judge me.”
People often confuse Matthew 7:1-5 by saying that “you can’t judge,” but in this verse Jesus is saying that you must first judge yourself not you can’t judge at all. Meaning I have to first check and evaluate myself before I can go to my brother or sister concerning their life. John 7:24 informs us to judge righteously not by appearance.  So when I see these posts, I evaluate myself first and ask Christ to show me if I am acting this way or have I acted this way in the past.

I remember sitting at the dealership witnessing to my employees and telling them that they needed to go to church and get right with God and then the next conversation was full of profanity or lustful comments about women as they passed by. Some of my customers who purchased cars from me were drug dealers. I would sit there and tell them that they shouldn’t be selling drugs and how wrong it is and they needed to get into a church. A couple days later I’m in Atlanta with them in a strip club and then Friday night I’m at dinner with one of my preacher friends. I was truly living a double life. I thought that it was ok to live like this because I was in church on Sunday, paying my tithes and giving to the poor. However, the rest of the week I was living like Hell. Matthew 7:15-20 says, “watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus by their fruit you will recognize them (NIV).” How could I share the gospel with someone but the fruit on my tree was bad? I know that these same people who I was “witnessing” to were looking at me laughing and not taking me seriously. I thought if I went to church, gave money, stopped drinking, and showed people all of my good deeds that I was saved and would go to heaven. Matthew 7:22-23 says “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you, Away from me, you evildoers!’”

I understand that we are not perfect and God is not looking for perfection, but if we truly have a relationship with Christ the Holy Spirit will not allow us to continue living the way we are living. A relationship with Christ will drive you to want to change and convict you of the sins you are committing. A relationship with God is formed by spending time with Him. As I was writing this blog, I got to see where Christ has brought me from. Please evaluate your life and make sure that you have a true relationship with God. Just because we are doing good deeds and telling people about Christ does not mean that we have a relationship with Him. I was talking a good game but I was turning people away from Christ because my life did not reflect the words that I was speaking. Let’s be careful of what we say and do because we can bring someone to Christ or we can help send them to Hell by our actions. Let’s stop playing church and be about our Father’s business!

God Bless You



-Shawn Spears

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading this post. To god be the glory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jaynetta. I appreciate you taking the time to read our blog. God bless you.
      - Shawn

      Delete
  3. Such a good ready.. God continue to help us all to seek him and only him alone... James 1:22-25 "But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading brother. God bless you.
      - Shawn

      Delete
  5. This is such a powerful message. I stumbled across your blog randomly...well I'm sure it was in God's plan. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.
    Thank you so much. May God continue to bless you as you spread His precious Word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thank you for sharing something so personal. Do you still have a dealership? In April, I prayed and asked God to provide us with a bigger vehicle because we were expecting a baby and would have 3 kids in car seats. A week later, my hubby totaled our car on a pot hole! I was excited because I knew God was about to do something great lol. What He did was teach me patience by making me wait! I am now 37 weeks (due September 15) and we have not bought a car yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone, i am here to share my testimony on how i conceived my baby. i have been married to my husband for 12years without no issue.i had problems with my in-laws even my husband started to have new affairs aside our marriage. it was a very terrible thing to bear. i became a laughing stock among my pear, i prayed and fasted and nothing happened. i was now seen as always unhappy.i was even ready to pack out of my marital home and stay on my own because my husband was not given me any attention that i needed from him. i decided to focus on my job and try to live happy on my own. on this faithful day, i decided to check the internet for updates on healthy living and i came across a story of a man called Dr Orissa who helped his wife to conceive a baby. i decided to give him a try because this has been my greatest problem in life. today i am a proud mother with a son. words will not be enough to explained what this man did for me.i am a happy mother,i know there is someone in same condition and you feel there is no way. i urge you to contact him. This is the solution to every single mother around the globe. distance is not a barrier, he will surely make your dreams come trough. contact him today via email: (orissatemple@yahoo.com) you want your lover back or any other miracle in your life, contact him today so the world can be a better place to live.

    ReplyDelete