Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Prison Saved My Life


The last six years of my life have truly been an experience that has transformed me in ways I never imagined. In 2008, I felt like I wanted to die! I was a real estate investor and like most investors, I saw the real estate market starting to collapse in 2007. Even though I saw this and knew it was getting ready to happen, I didn't use wisdom and still continued to spend money and not prepare for it. In 2008, the house market crashed and my over $200,000 a year income dwindled down to nothing. The fear of losing it all overtook me  and I decided to take the wrong route and made a trip to Atlanta to buy drugs to sell. At the time, I felt this was the only way to keep up the lifestyle my family and I were living. I can remember 2 weeks before I took the trip to Atlanta, God told me not to go down that road, but I didn't listen. I got busted!! I made bond and was out for two and a half years. Going into court to be sentenced I thought my world was coming to an end. Little did I know, God had an amazing plan for my life and this period of time he needed to isolate me so he could restore me. While I was in prison, God started to do the work in me because there were no distractions and I needed God like never before. 


Life as I knew it changed drastically. From divorce papers being served to me to being 7 hours away from my family and where I lived my entire life. Christ was always by my side. God began to purge people out of my life. It was very hard at times but God was in that cell with me. I could feel his presence in the midst of all the demonic spirits that are in prison (I will blog about this later). One night my heart was hurting so bad while in prison and God began to speak to me and he told me "Shawn I have so many blessings for you if you just trust me." From that point on, no matter how bad it hurt and no matter what was going on around me in prison,  I diligently stayed on my knees crying out to God and casting every care upon Him. I began really living a disciplined lifestyle of intercessory prayer and fasting and truly seeking Christ by studying His Word. 

One step at a time God began to clean out my heart and remove anything that was not like him. As I prayed, fasted, read God's word, and even disciple'd other inmates, God began speaking to me like never before. He showed me my future and all of the amazing things that He was going to do in my life. In March 2013, one of those things came to pass when He brought an amazing woman of God in my life by the name of Jennifer Richardson and she is now my wife and I'm honored everyday to live this life with her.



I have so many amazing things to share with you on this blog 

  • From visions Christ gave me in business
  • Marriage 
  • How He renewed my mind and my faith, 
  • How He delivered me from bondage and how I no longer think like the world
  • How He delivered me from alcoholism
  • How it feels to be betrayed in relationships
  • Sex and lust
  • Prison stories
  • and Purity
Prison really saved my life. I needed to be isolated from the life that I was living. It allowed me to have one on one time with God and really establish a relationship with Him. What the devil meant for bad, God turned it around for my good. The worst thing that I thought could have ever happen to me, turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I Pray this blog has blessed you and that you could see God in my story. No matter what you are going through right now, know that God will see you through it, but you have to surrender it all to him. 

God Bless,

- Shawn Spears

Announcement: Jennifer and I will be speaking at the Singles Conference 2014 in Charleston, SC. If you are interested in attending, register HERE Details are in the flyer below.



21 comments:

  1. Great read! Powerful read! Thanks for your transparency and for sharing your story with the world. You never really know the glory behinds someone story until you hear it. You story will draw others to a have a closer relationship with Christ. It's no cliche, but it's a fact that the best is truly yet to come. It's an honor to know you both. I'm looking forward to the ministry that God is birthing and will birth through the both of you. Many more blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! Thank you brother. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to speak at your conference. We are so excited about what God is going to do through that conference!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. The way our world is now, we need men of God to go and share what God has for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing! I love how transparent you two are! Your trials are like so many of ours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fly!! We appreciate you reading our blog.

      Delete
  4. I'm excited about this blog and how God is using you and Jennifer for his glory. Thank you Shawn for sharing your story of redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless the Lord for you both!

    I am so happy you shared this story with us, bro. This truly spoke to me this morning. I pray God's continued blessings over your lives, your marriage, and your future.

    Love,
    -Nissey M.
    @heart_of_worship12 (instagram)
    @ahofw12 (twitter)
    www.aheartofworship12.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a beautiful testimony. Funny how the devil "thought' he won and God said otherwise. The both of you are such an inspiration, I live for your posts and pictures as it all is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Agatha said! So very important.

    Looking forward to reading more from you and Jennifer. Continued blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn, you been my guy since I first moved to Knoxville back in 07. We have talked about everything under the sun...and moon! Lol. I know it wasn't easy for you to tell this story but I'm glad you were given the courage and strength to do so. During your purge I know you didn't talk to many and I was one of a select few and I believe God was keeping you and I together so I could witness first hand the things of your testimony. It has helped me to be a better man and even though I might not say it, you keep me encouraged as I try to strengthen my walk with God. I appreciate you bro and I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank God for putting you in my life. When I was in isolation and after being isolated you road with me the whole time. I know Christ purged a lot of people out of my life.I thank God for given me discernment on who should continue this journey with me. I know satan tried to come in and trick me into purging you out. I know the business man you are, you could have said I can't have myself around this, but you chose to be a brother to me and I thank you!! God Bless, Love you Bro!!

      Delete
  9. Glory to God. I am in tears bc you can feel the tangible love of God from reading this article. Your transparency is blessing so many! Thank you JESUS FOR REDEEMING THIS YOUNG MAN FROM DEATH AND RESURRECTING HIM TO A NEW LIFE IN YOU. PRAISE GOD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glory to God. I am in tears bc you can feel the tangible love of God from reading this article. Your transparency is blessing so many! Thank you JESUS FOR REDEEMING THIS YOUNG MAN FROM DEATH AND RESURRECTING HIM TO A NEW LIFE IN YOU. PRAISE GOD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glory to God. I am in tears bc you can feel the tangible love of God from reading this article. Your transparency is blessing so many! Thank you JESUS FOR REDEEMING THIS YOUNG MAN FROM DEATH AND RESURRECTING HIM TO A NEW LIFE IN YOU. PRAISE GOD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Testimony, Sir! May God continue to prosper you, your beautiful wife & family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Preach! God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete